Investigating the cause of infertility
When should a couple seek help for infertility?
- Couples below the age of 35 who are unable to conceive within a period of 12 months
- Couples above the age of 35 who are unable to conceive within a period of 6 months
- Sooner, should any of the following be known:
- if the female partner is older than 35
- If the female partner has a known decreased ovarian reserve, irregular periods, abnormalities of the uterus, fallopian tubes or ovaries
- If the male partner is known to be sub-fertile
However, since age plays such a significant part in infertility, couples are encouraged to seek help sooner rather than later. The earlier problems are detected and addressed, the greater the chance of success.